What New Year’s Resolutions have you set for yourself? In addition to your regular self-improvement goals, you might resolve to save energy in the new year and put more money back in your pocket. Here are the top ways for doing just that.
For help implementing the energy-saving tips below, please contact UGI EnergyLink online or call us at 800-797-0712 today!
Help Your Home Perform More Efficiently
The first step in making your New Year’s Resolution a reality is to improve your home’s ability to use energy efficiently. You have probably heard that modern homes are built with the best energy conservation techniques available. Fortunately, you can make the home you live in more efficient without having to move—just make a few improvements around the house to reduce energy waste and lower your bills as a result. Here’s how:
- Seal leaky windows and doors. Use caulk for stationary joints and weather-stripping for movable joints.
- Add a layer of insulation to the attic floor.
- Install ENERGY STAR® appliances with high efficiency ratings.
- Install a programmable thermostat to make automatic setback periods possible.
- Put in aerated faucets, low-flow showerheads, and water-conserving toilets.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) or light emitting diodes (LEDs).
- Plant shrubs around your home to act as a windbreaker.
- Plant trees on the south and west sides of your home to provide shade during the hottest time of day.
Implement Energy-Saving Practices
Once your home is set up for success, learn to heat, cool, cook, and clean while using less energy. Here’s how:
- Set the programmable thermostat to 68 degrees in the winter and 78 degrees in the summer. Then, schedule 8-to 10-degree setbacks while you’re at work during the day and sleeping at night.
- Turn down the water heater to 120 degrees. Better yet, install a tankless water heater to eliminate wasted energy from standby heat loss.
- Wash more batches of laundry in cold water.
- Unplug electronics and gadgets when you’re not using them to reduce standby energy consumption.
- Set your computer to fall asleep after 30 minutes of non-use.
- Set outdoor lights on timers.
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room.
Convert to Natural Gas
If you heat, cook, and dry clothes with heating oil, you can save more energy in the new year by switching to natural gas. While energy prices fluctuate, natural gas is usually more affordable than oil. Plus, gas-powered furnaces are often 8 to 10 percent more efficient than oil furnaces. If you heat with electricity, you stand to save even more from a natural gas conversion due to inherently high electricity costs.
Switch Energy Suppliers
The final step of your New Year’s Resolution to save more money is to decrease the rate you pay for electricity and natural gas. This is only an option in states, like PA, with a deregulated energy market. Deregulation means you can shop around for competitive rates from different suppliers without sacrificing the quality of your energy services.
Save More with UGI EnergyLink in PA
Homeowners in Pennsylvania and business owners across the Northeastern US should choose UGI EnergyLink as their service provider. We can help you find the lowest possible price on electricity and natural gas, and we even allow you to lock in your energy rates to ensure predictable utility bills.
If this sounds like the money- and energy-saving solution you’ve been looking for, please contact UGI EnergyLink at 800-797-0712 to learn more about our services. We’re happy to answer any questions you have about natural gas and electricity deregulation.