Schools are back in session…did you do your homework when managing your educational facility’s budget? Have you conducted an energy audit recently? How much energy is your building using—and what rate are you paying for that energy? Energy is priced in kilowatt per hour (kWh). Every year, K-12 school buildings in the U.S. use an average of 10 kWh of electricity per square foot.
Pennsylvania is known for its expansive school system, including:
- Elementary schools
- Middle schools
- High schools
- Private schools
- Charter schools
- College campuses
- Community campuses
- Technical schools
- And other educational buildings
Luckily for managers of school budgets, Pennsylvania also has a deregulated electricity market—meaning consumers have a choice over the rate and company they get their energy from. UGI EnergyLink has been providing electricity to school properties throughout Pennsylvania for over 127 years. To see what you can save by switching to UGI EnergyLink, fill out our simple enrollment form or call us today!
Electricity Deregulation & Benefits for Schools
Pennsylvania has a deregulated commercial electricity market—meaning school managers like you can easily choose electric suppliers, such as UGI EnergyLink. The competitive market from deregulated electricity leads to better pricing and better customer service for consumers like you.
School buildings can use a lot of energy—with a number of students, faculty, and staff using the building for long hours every day, there are few “lulls” in energy consumption. For you, that means it’s important to understand the expected use of electricity on a monthly basis and how you can still decrease those energy costs. Instead of changing how much energy you use, in Pennsylvania (and many other states with deregulated markets) you can control how much you pay for energy used. Even saving a few pennies on your kWh (kilowatt per hour) rate can save your property hundreds or thousands in your budget each year.
If you do switch providers to a more affordable rate, you’ll still receive reliable service with no interruptions—that means your students still learn and you have the opportunity to start the school year without dealing with major budget cuts. The purpose of electricity deregulation is to offer lower prices and increase customer satisfaction for principals, financial advisors, and managers like you, by introducing competition into the market.
When is the last time you looked at your electricity rate compared to the competitive Pennsylvania market? Call us today at 800-797-0712800-797-0712 to find out how much you could save with UGI EnergyLink!
How Educational Buildings Use Energy
While your attention might be on the quality of education and success of your students, evaluating the energy use in your school is important when considering switching electricity suppliers in a deregulated market. Electricity is used on a day-to-day basis (on the weekends too!). Energy is used in almost every function, including:
- School-wide Uses – Paging and intercom systems, security cameras and monitoring devices, digital signage, lighting, heating and cooling
- Classroom Uses – Computers, smart boards, overhead projector machines, televisions, and lamps
- Cafeteria Uses – Cooking equipment, dish washing machines, check-out kiosks, microwaves, and vending machines
- Special Purpose Room Uses – Computer rooms, art rooms, recreation rooms, music rooms, science labs, and auditoriums
- Administrative Uses – Computers, monitors, keyboards, printers, fax machines, and scanners
Do you know how much electricity you use each month? Even more importantly, do you know how much you pay for that energy? Knowing your energy use and buying habits is crucial in a deregulated energy market—or you could be wasting hundreds each month with a higher rate. Saving money on your electric bills could mean teacher raises, new classroom equipment, or even more annual events for your students.
Pennsylvania Electricity Supplier for Campuses
At UGI EnergyLink, we’re here to help you make the best energy decisions for your educational facility. We have over 127 years of experience providing electricity to schools, colleges, and educational properties throughout Pennsylvania and can provide you with the opportunity to save money on your monthly energy bills when you switch!
As a result of electricity deregulation, UGI EnergyLink can offer two pricing arrangements for you and other commercial electric customers: fixed pricing and variable rate pricing.
- Fixed Pricing – Fixed pricing is an excellent option for schools with a strict budget and require a constant rate for a year cycle.
- Variable Rate Pricing – Variable rate (or indexed pricing) is suitable for schools that are able to accept some level of risk by taking advantage of market pricing. Wholesale market conditions will dictate whether rates go up or down.
Switch to UGI EnergyLink Today for Your Electricity
To determine the best electricity pricing option for your Pennsylvania school, we will:
- Review your current buying habits—including an analysis of your month-to-month usage and seasonal fluctuations
- Develop a plan for purchasing electricity at more favorable rates or terms than you might get with your utility company or electricity marketer
Contact us today or fill out our simple enrollment form to make the switch and see how much you could save!