The year 2021 is well underway and while we hope to hit the reset button, two things that continue to be of utmost importance are safety and cleanliness. Keeping your home clean can help prevent the COVID-19 virus from infecting those closest to you. While killing the germs seems like a no-brainer, there are specific cleaning tips that prove most effective. With these cleaning tips and tricks, you will be well on your way to a safe and germ-free year!
Follow these guidelines to clean and disinfect your home and energy appliances to stop the spread of germs, infections, and the COVID-19 virus:
- Wear disposable gloves or reusable gloves dedicated only for cleaning and disinfecting, to clean and disinfect your home. Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after removing the gloves.
- When cleaning dirty surfaces, use soap and water first, followed by a disinfectant.
- Clean items according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If possible, keep a separate bedroom and bathroom for any person who is sick in your household.
- Disinfect using a household disinfectant listed on the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) List N: Disinfectants for Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Be sure to follow the instructions on the disinfectant’s label to ensure the safe and effective use of the product. Many products recommend keeping the surface wet with disinfectant for a period of time (see product label) and using precautions such as wearing gloves and ensuring good ventilation while using the product.
When using chemical disinfectants, always be sure to read and follow the directions on the label of the cleaning and disinfection products to ensure safe and effective use. Here are a few other key guidelines to follow:
- Wear gloves and consider glasses or goggles for the potential splash hazards to the eyes.
- Ensure sufficient ventilation – for example by opening windows.
- Only use the recommended amount on the label.
- Unless stated otherwise on the label, use water at room temperature for dilution.
- Label diluted cleaning solutions appropriately.
- Store and use chemicals out of reach from children and pets.
- Do not mix products or chemicals.
- Do not eat, drink, breathe, or inject cleaning and disinfection products into your body or apply them to your skin. This can cause serious harm.
- Do not wipe or bathe pets with any cleaning or disinfection products.
For more information on how to keep your home safe from the COVID-19 virus and other infections, visit the CDC website.