At UGI Energy Services, we’re committed to a cleaner and greener future. This includes investing in renewable energy options such as renewable natural gas (RNG), solar power, and landfill gas to power options. RNG has been produced for decades but has recently begun to be utilized as an alternative to fossil fuels. RNG is a biogas made from the decomposition of organic matter such as manure and food waste then processed to purity standards.
- It’s versatile. RNG is fully compatible with the U.S. pipeline infrastructure. It can be used in homes and businesses, in manufacturing and heavy industries, and for producing electricity. RNG is fully interchangeable with conventional natural gas, so it can also be used in natural gas vehicles.
- It’s better for the environment. RNG is a carbon neutral energy source, meaning it does not contribute any net carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. The use of RNG recycles carbon that is already circulating in the environment, whereas the use of fossil fuels releases new carbon emissions into the atmosphere. The use of RNG eliminates the greenhouse gases that would otherwise be emitted from using the same amount of conventional natural gas.
- It increases domestic energy production. The production of RNG helps provide domestic energy security by increasing the production of renewable non-fossil fuel energy in the U.S. This can supplement foreign-produced fuels such as oil.
- It improves waste management. Since RNG is made from the decomposition of organic materials like manure, the collecting and processing of animal waste prevents run-off. This helps keep local waterways and groundwater from being contaminated.
- It improves air quality. Replacing diesel or gasoline with RNG can significantly reduce the emissions of nitrogen oxides, reducing air pollution and greatly improving local air quality, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- It’s always available. Waste material can be converted into RNG 24 hours a day, seven days a week because it is always available. The U.S. generates millions of tons of food waste, sewage, manure, and other types of waste each year, so the sources to make RNG are plentiful. This isn’t necessarily the case with intermittent energy sources like wind and solar, which are dependent on the wind blowing or the sun shining.
- It helps the domestic economy. As RNG production grows, new jobs will continue to be created. Since RNG is being produced in the U.S., these jobs will be contained domestically, helping boost the economy.
Demand for RNG is growing worldwide thanks to an increased awareness in environmental concerns and an interest in clean energy alternatives. UGI Energy Services offers RNG options through GHI Energy. UGI Energy Services and GHI experts help customers navigate the natural gas and carbon credit markets, helping them achieve their renewable energy goals.
For more information about RNG options offered through GHI, visit their website.