Witches, ghouls & zombies should be the only things scaring you this Halloween – and not your business’s energy bills. The number on your bill should not make you feel frightened, or like you just finished watching a slasher film. To make sure you are receiving all treats and no tricks, we have put together a list of ways you can save energy at your company. Follow these tips and you are guaranteed to not spend a scary amount for your natural gas and electric. If you would like to download our Business Owner Energy Guide, follow this link.
- Make your business more energy efficient. Installing energy-efficient HVAC equipment, appliances & other electronics are a great place to start. (We recommend Energy Star appliances). You want to be sure to have a programmable thermostat that automatically knows what temperature your business should be based on when your employees are in and out of the office. It is important to keep everything updated – older equipment tends to take up more energy, thus increasing the bills. Have you found that there are electronics lying around your business that are barely used, such as old telephones or unused computers? Be sure to unplug them (Or eliminate them all together – to the curb they go!)
- Have an energy audit completed of your business. An energy audit is an assessment of your business that takes a look at current energy consumption and then identifies energy efficiency measures that you can conduct to make your workplace more efficient. An energy auditor can assess where you are losing the most energy, and then they can propose improvements to make to help save energy – and reduce your utility bills. An energy audit takes a look at things like windows, walls, if there are any leaks, insulation, attics, basements, furnaces, water heaters, ducts and lighting. The cost to have these items replaced is worth so much more than the high energy bills they can cause. A local HVAC company is a great place to look when searching for a reputable energy auditor.
- Turn off equipment when not in use. This one may seem small, but it is mighty! Do your electronics really need to be plugged in when you are not in the office – such as overnight or on the weekends? Probably not. Items like printers, microwaves, photocopiers, lights and computers can be unplugged – and the savings can be significant.
- Upgrade your lighting. Did you know you can save up to 80% when you switch your lighting to LED? Although LED lighting may seem more expensive at first, consider the bigger picture. The $8 bulb uses just 10 watts compared to the traditional 60 or more, and has a lifespan of 25,000 hours compared to the traditional 1,200. That is some spooky savings!
- Shop around for an energy supplier. A commonly overlooked aspect of purchasing natural gas or electricity is the ability to shop around for the best rates as several energy consumers think they’re “locked in” to their rates through the utility provider. With UGI EnergyLink, not only do we offer some of the most competitive rates in the industry, but we also do a price comparison and walk you through your current supplier’s bill to show you where cost-cutting opportunities reside. With our price transparency, you will never be charged more than what you agreed to pay. Plus, you’ll always know what you’re paying for. If you are tired of paying high bills for your energy consumption, or you can’t deal with surprise fees any longer, it’s time for you to take control. By choosing an independent supplier of natural gas that is separate from your utility provider, you can save money on your monthly utility bills with ease!
There are no scare tactics here. Following these simple tips will save you in the long run for your business. We hope you have a wonderful Halloween!