Sunshine, poolside, downtime. ‘Tis the season for sunshine, barbeques, catching fireflies, and best of all – pool days! These scorching days of summer are the perfect recipe for the cool, blue waters in one’s backyard. We know that maintaining your pool can be tons of work and the bills can add up – that is why we have put together some tips on how you can save energy with your pool this summer! Enjoy these hot days while they last, all while knowing you are reducing your pool’s energy use.
- Purchase a pool cover. Getting a pool cover can be beneficial in many ways. Not only does it prevent evaporation, thus saving you from constantly having to refill your pool and take a hit to your water bill – it also can help maintain heat. There are many types of pool covers you can use when the pool is not in use – one of them is a solar cover. Many solar covers can raise your water temperature as high as 15 degrees, so your water heater does not have to do all of the work and you can save money on your utility bills.
- Turn down the heater. Heated pools are definitely a luxury – however, what is better than relaxing in a cool pool on a hot day? You can save 10-30% in energy bills for every degree cooler you set your temperature. But, if you prefer the warmer water, try to invest in a high-efficiency heater that can do the work at a lower cost in the long run. This is also where having a pool cover that can naturally raise your water temperature can come in handy!
- Purchase your pool pump wisely. You want to be sure you have the most efficient pump that works for the size of your pool. Having a pump that is too large will simply waste money. There are energy-efficient pumps as well that run less frequently. It is important to work with a professional when discussing which pump is best for your pool and your energy bills.
- Use LED lights for your ambiance lighting. LED lights are a great investment because they use less energy and last much longer than your typical light bulbs. There are several different color options as well, so why not set the mood at night with whatever color you are feeling. An average incandescent light bulb usually lasts a year, but you are looking at a lifetime of 15-20 years with LED lights. The numbers speak for themselves. Solar lights are another excellent way to get the ambiance you are looking for at night while making smart energy choices.
- Take the time to do preventative maintenance for your pool. Keeping draining systems clear through backwashing, reducing pool temperature when no one is swimming, cleaning your filter regularly as well as adding and balancing chemicals are all tasks that will keep your pool healthy and running smoothly in the long run. The smoother everything is running, the less likely you are going to have to spend hefty bills on your energy. It may seem like tedious work, but will definitely save you sanity and money over time.
Owning a pool comes with a lot of responsibilities, but is also a wonderful way for you and your family to spend time together this summer. These tips are just a few ways that your pool can run efficiently, and you can see the benefits in your wallet. If you are looking for other ways to save energy for your home, we have plenty at UGI EnergyLink. Visit our home energy guide for assistance on how you can cut back. If you are interested in saving money on your energy bills through a fixed rate or a new supplier – we can help. Contact UGI EnergyLink today.